Saturday, January 10, 2015

CORTLAND'S GOLD MINING CONNECTION IN HONDURAS




The Cortland Democrat, Friday, February 1, 1889.

From Honduras.
   The following letters were received last Friday by the President of the Cortland-Honduras Mining Company:
NACAOME, C. A., Jan'y 5, 1889.
C. E. Ingalls, Esq.
DEAR SIR:
   I will write you a few lines but as Foster is writing you I shall not have much to say. I wrote you on board the ship that I met two English gentlemen going to the same place I was, to look for gold mines. They went with us when we arrived here, and after examining our property with others, we sold them the old Amparo mine and we will send you the contract by next mail. Foster is writing you and will probably say more about it. I think it is a good sale, and we get 35 per cent of all they take out and they agree to make developments to the amount of $10,000. That will save us the expense of anything for development and we can use our own money on our own mines, which we have plenty room for. I think our mines are splendid. We have more ore in our hills than we can work in a hundred years; all it wants is money to go to work with and then there can be no mistake but that we can make all the money we want. I think we can get material and labor here for the present to set our boiler and erect our machines. The house is nearly completed and then I shall be down there all the time. We are making our own brick and they will be done by the time we want them. We go to the Capitol to-morrow to get our edict so that Foster can transfer the papers to me.
   We have been very busy in making the sale of the mine and have within the last hour got all papers signed and delivered and they start to-morrow morning, as it is the last hour they have to take the boat for England, or lay over one month before they can leave Colon for home, as they go direct from Colon to England. Foster has been so much engaged in making this sale that he has not had time to make out a statement of his accounts, but will do so as soon as we return from the Capitol, and then I will forward it to you so you can see how much money he has on hand. We owe $3,000 on our property yet and we must have it to pay when it becomes due. Foster has some money on hand now, but it will take considerable to keep the mines and our work moving.
   The next four months will be the hard pull. I shall not order our belting, &c, yet as there will be plenty of time for two months yet. Things move slow but sure. By the next mail I will give more definitely the work that has been done and the amount of ore mined and money expended.
   These English gentlemen have expressed their gratification time and again for being so fortunate as to meet me, thus enabling them to see Foster with whom they have made so good and satisfactory a deal. If they had not met him they think they never would have made a purchase for they do not like the natives to deal with.
   It is hot as blazes here: how is it up in old Cortland? I hope you are having some good cool weather, plenty of snow, and a good time generally. I live quietly here as all must who come here. It is rather lonesome for me, but I will try and endure it. Tell the boys to keep cheerful. It will take longer than we expected but we will get there just the same.
   Yours truly,
   E. P. SHUTT.

NACAOME, Jan'y 5, 1889.
   GENTLEMEN: I have been so busy with my work, Mr. Schutt and the English deal, that I have time but for a few words.
   We have sold the mine Amparo to an English company. Will send copy of contract by next mail. The terms are that they are to open the mine, which will cost about $10,000, put on a plant and give us 35 per cent of stock. It is a good deal, as English stock is worth double that of American. I could have dealt the others, but don’t think we want to deal them.
   Schutt cables you to-day and says 'send money' in order for you to be prepared. We shall be obliged to use the bulk of the erection money soon for brick, tile, survey of zone, &c., &c., all of which is preparatory to the erection of the mill. We have a good amount of money on hand and will in my next, make a statement of finances and proximate cost of putting up the mill. You will find both favorable and to your satisfaction. Everything here in general and particular is O. K.
   I enclose a little report from the English expert. The Englishmen start home tonight and will carry my letters to Amapala for the mail. The days since Schutt and they arrived have been very laborious for me and I regret that I cannot write you more.
   Send 500 lbs. best 7/8 drill steel at once, I mean the very best, it is cheapest, if we don't wire for it before you get this. Hold on to your stock.
Respectfully submitted,
   J. E. FOSTER.

   The following is the letter of Mr. Nichols, the English mining expert referred to in Mr. Foster's letter:
To the Cortland-Honduras Mining Association:
   GENTLEMEN: Being now on a visit to Honduras from England, for the purpose of inspecting and advising on certain mining properties here, in the interest of English capitalists, I recently took the opportunity of visiting your properties in El Gubernador District in the Department of Choluteca, and at the request of Messrs. Foster and Schutt, whom I had the pleasure of meeting here. I made an inspection of your properties El Trancito and San Rafael, but the other mines belonging to you I had not sufficient time at my disposal to enable me to visit. With reference to the El Trancito and San Rafael, I have pleasure in stating that from the appearance of the vast lodes of ores now in sight, I am of opinion that they will well justify the expenditure which I was given to understand was about to be made for the purpose of working the same. My opinion of Amparo is very patent to you; the fact that I have recommended the same to favorable consideration of an English gentleman, who is accompanying me in this country, and accordingly entered into an arrangement for the purchase of the said mine.
   Congratulating you upon the favorable prospects of your undertaking here, I remain, Gentlemen, your Obedient Servant,
   JOHN B. NICHOLS, C. E., M E.
   Honduras, Jan'y 4th, 1889.



From Honduras.
   The following letter was received by Dr. C. E. Ingalls, President of the San Rafael Mining & Milling Company, from Superintendent Foster on Thursday morning of this week:
   NACAOME, HOND., C. A., Jan. 27, ’89.
San Rafael Mining & Milling Co.
   GENTLEMEN:—The work at the mine is pushing steadily forward. We are now working only on the crosscut tunnel of the San Rafael mine proper. We could be taking out ore from other places, but I consider it best to make this tunnel the ore audit, and after it in finished we can get out the ore much cheaper than otherwise.
Some considerable ore from other parts of the work is now on the dump. We are in 48 feet. This would have all been finished but for the want of dynamite of which I have previously spoken.
   The machinery is all in good shape in our port El Tamarindo. The brick and tile are making $7 per 1,000. Our next steps will be to open the road by cutting out a few small trees, removing some stones and changing some ground and also getting the ground for the mill ready.
   My financial report only awaits the statement of our agent in Amapala, and I have expectation of its reaching me in time to get it off on this steamer.
   Just how much money we will need to complete this work I can not tell, and do not like to make statements that will not be quite proximate. Mr. Schutt and myself will make careful figures and give a very approximate idea, inasmuch as at the beginning but a gold mill will be put up, the cost will be much lighter and of such an amount as to give you no trouble.
   I have covered the ground briefly, but have covered it well. Will add that in a few days when I get more time shall with a couple of men commence an examination and work on the other veins of the San Rafael.
   Most Sincerely and Resp'y Yours,
   J. E. FOSTER. [Cortland Democrat, Feb. 15, 1889]
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment