Monday, November 24, 2014

LESSON LEARNED


 





LESSONS LEARNED

THE LAST ESSAY

Albert Einstein is justly famous for his theory of relativity, but I know him best for his definition of insanity.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Following along, I've decided to abandon my efforts to convince people that they should use their votes to protest against corruption in DC as well as my efforts to enlist people in any way to involve themselves in actions to eliminate said corruption. You may be interested in my reasons.
To begin, my own efforts will continue; I will support Rootstrikers, Lawrence Lessig, and others in spite of my conviction that these groups have allowed themselves to slip into a diffuse, 'Occupy Wall Street' rabble. Still, their energy is bringing the 'root problem' to the forefront with a growing number of voters.
My reasons: To the best of my knowledge, I've failed to convince a single person to use his/her ballot to express disgust with the corruption of special interest money in DC. Curiosity has led me to search for why.

My conclusions--why we vote:

1/ Out of a sense of duty.

2/ Loyalty (however reluctant) to our party.

3/ Our own vested interest (where our paycheck, our benefits, or welfare come from).

4/ The media frenzy catching everyone up in the excitement of the moment--a turning point in history.

5/ We're passionate for a specific issue--welfare--too much/too little, the tax code, immigration, and see our party's version as best.

6/ Our selective listening, and the pleasure we get from our own party's propaganda--the fear factor. This last is where most of the money is spent, creating distrust and loathing for the 'other' party. How can we risk those bastards winning? And it's not just voters who are effected; politicians don't want to be seen with those ^%^#$%. So much for bi-partisan cooperation.

All of this is well understood by our political class, and is how they insure their incumbencies with special interest money.

P. S. Several people have reacted to my 'Last Essay'. Further clarification seems in order.

For clarity: I am not discouraged by my failure to persuade people to my point of view, but rather, I recognize the difficulty in accepting my radical concept. I firmly believe that our democracy is broken, and that the only votes that count are those cast on behalf of a well-funded special interest. (Not all special interests are evil.)

To effect change in any organization (government, business, your local garden club), one must understand the natural (sometimes base) motivations of its members. Our elected officials in DC seem to be motivated overwhelmingly by power, and a comfortable retirement. The current system of corruption serves these motivations very well, especially for incumbents. With so many citizens not voting (disgust etc.), an incumbent can count on his/her party base for most of the votes needed, and on special interests for enough money to be reelected. And, should the opponent win, we have a new incumbent. There is no chance that either party will change this system unless a large number of voters withhold their support unequivocally on this condition. A vote for a candidate of either party sends the opposite message. Meanwhile, we will continue to see issues important to the American people ignored, or dealt with largely to the satisfaction of special interests.

I continue my efforts as an individual.

P. P. S. I received an email from Ben Cohen (Ben&Jerry's). nhRebellion looks more focused than Lessig.
Joseph –
Hi, it’s Ben, the guy on the left, co-founder of Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream and now Head Stamper at StampStampede.org and we’ve teamed up with our friends at the New Hampshire Rebellion to create a customized stamp to stamp money out of politics and end the system of legalized bribery. 


The Stampede helps to build the movement by encouraging Americans to legally rubber stamp paper currency with a demand to get money out of politics. So far there are over 25,000 of us! We are literally making our money talk by turning it into media.


What we are creating together is a “Petition on Steroids,” because once it goes into circulation, each stamped dollar is seen by 875 people.
If 1 person stamps 3 bills a day for a year, the message will reach 1 MILLION people. It’s totally legal, slightly subversive, and fun too. 
Click here to get a stamp (or get a few for the holidays!) They cost $10.50 a piece and the first 25 people to order get a FREE PINT OF BEN AND JERRY’S ICE CREAM.

And please don't forget to join us in New Hampshire this January. Spaces are filling fast so be sure to register to walk today!
Thanks for helping us fix this root problem together!

Ben Cohen

NH Rebellion
http://www.nhrebellion.org/

P.S. I continue to write, making slow progress on a new novel and I plan to post occasional personal (not about corruption) essays and short stories on my blog.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment